- Masters of Science in Occupational Hygiene Practice, University of Wollongong.
- Master of Occupational Health and Safety Management, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Bachelor of Science in Materials Science, University of Technology, Sydney
- Diploma in Scientific Practice, University of Technology, Sydney
- Advanced Building Regulation Course, University of Technology, Sydney
- P401 Identification of Asbestos in Bulk Samples (PLM), British Occupational Hygiene Society
- Certificate IV in Assessment and Workplace Training, Strathfield Regional Community College
- Asbestos Assessor Class A Construction Occupation Licence (ACT Planning & Land Authority).
- Kogarah Council Approved Asbestos Survey Provider.
- Bonded Asbestos Removal Certificate, TAFE NSW (08-13-162).
- Bonded Asbestos Nominated Supervisor Certificate, TAFE NSW (08-02S-17).
- WorkCover New South Wales Course in OHS Risk Management for Supervisors and Managers (2004)
- Lead Safe Contractor – Lead Paint Hazard Management Course, Master Painters Association
- Management & Control of Confined Space Work (Safe Working in Confined Spaces), Combined Training Consulting No. 1180607
- Practical First Attack Firefighting September 2006, New South Wales Fire Brigades.
- Elevated Working Platforms (Type BL) No, 305485, Elevating Work Platform Association of Australia Inc.
Registrations And Professional Affiliations
- NATA signatory for asbestos and hazardous materials inspections.
- Chartered Professional Member of the Safety Institute of Australia (CPMSIA)
- Master Builders Association – Registered Building Consultant (Specialist)
- Australian Tile Council – NSW Committee Member
- Australian Injury Prevention Network
- Associate member of the Human Factors & Ergonomics Society
- Provisional member of the Australian Institute of Occupational Hygienists
Carl Strautins holds a Bachelor of Science in Materials Science, a Masters in Occupational Health and Safety Management and has completed an Advanced Building Regulation Course. He also holds a Masters in Occupational Hygiene Program from the University of Wollongong.
Specialising in health and safety within the built environment, Carl has developed skills in asbestos, hazardous materials, risk management & OHS compliance.
Carl is a certified professional member (CPMSIA) of the Safety Institute of Australia and a member of Australian Injury Prevention Network and is a representative on various Australian and UK Standards Committees. Carl has authored scientific papers, journals and presented seminars in the fields of slip resistance, ceramic and natural stone tiling systems, risk management and occupational health and safety.
|Safe Environments (formerly Slip Check) – Property Risk Consultant / Materials Scientist
|Coffey Environments, OHS & Property Consultant Auditor
|CSIRO – Materials Technologist
|CSIRO – Technical Officer
|CSIRO – Research Student
Safe Environments Pty Ltd
Carl is a managing director of Safe Environments Pty Ltd a multi-specialist consultancy operating in the building, construction and property management industries. He provides the necessary guidance and risk minimisation strategies required by architects, construction companies and facility managers to ensure they mitigated their risk to property risk. He is engaged on a regular basis to provide expert opinion for disputes and legal proceedings.
Coffey Environments (formerly MPL)
Employed as OHS and Property Consultant, Carl project managed Asbestos Surveys, Hazardous Materials Surveys and OHS Property Risk Audits for national clients such as Department of Defence, Australian Broadcasting Corporation, Stockland, Knight Frank, Macquarie Goodman and Valad Property Group.
Carl was first employed as a research student within CSIRO division of Building construction and Engineering conducting research on materials. He was commended by the Chief of Division for efforts and extreme diligence in collecting forensic data for litigious purposes in a number of particularly demanding physical conditions, whilst continuing to make valuable contributions to the team’s R & D. Carls career quickly progressed to the position of leader of the slip resistance facilities in North Ryde within the CSIRO Division of Manufacturing and Infrastructure Technology as a Materials Technologist.
Asbestos & Hazardous Materials
- Asbestos survey for AirRoad Distribution facilities and warehouse complex, Lidcombe NSW.
- Asbestos inspection of Fujitsu Warehouse, Mascot NSW.
- Asbestos survey for development application of Royal Hotel Carlton, NSW.
- Asbestos air monitoring during removal works at St Patricks College Strathfield.
- Attendance at the Australian Institute of Occupational Hygienists seminar “Challenges of dealing with Asbestiform” Perth 2008
- Attendance at the CRC CARE – Contamination Assessment and Remediation of the Environment, Asbestos in Soils workshop in Sydney 2008
- Attendance at the Australian Institute of Occupational Hygienists asbestos day workshop in Hobart 2008
- Win Corporation, asbestos inspection of 221-229 Crown Street, 7 storey commercial tower.
- Project management and hazardous materials surveys of over 1000 buildings for Department of Defence, Central North NSW region.
- Project management and hazardous materials surveys of Royal North Shore Hospital Re Development Project.
- Hazardous materials survey for Commonwealth Bank properties throughout Northern Territory
- Hazardous materials survey and management plans for Dyno Nobel located at Kalgoorlie Explosives Depot.
- Hazardous materials survey and management plans for the Esperance Port Authority.
- Hazardous materials surveys and asbestos surveys for Department of Defence throughout the Central Sydney region comprising over 500 buildings.
- Assisted in the development of the new Hazardous Materials database module for Department of Defence.
- Asbestos survey for David Berry Hospital complex in Berry NSW
- Project Management of asbestos removal, Bligh House, Sydney
- Asbestos surveys of over 800 buildings for the Department of Defence at the Moorebank and Holsworthy
- Lead dust monitoring and management plan for the Department of Defence firing ranges
- Asbestos surveys for National Australia Bank, Sydney region
- Project management and hazardous materials surveys of commercial properties for Macquarie Goodman
- Review of asbestos surveys in the Hunter region for the Uniting Church
OHS Property Risk Audits
Carl has Developed and delivered OHS Risk Management and OHS Property Compliance training programs for the Property Council of Australia professional development courses. Carl has conducted OHS property risk audits for a diverse range of government, industrial, commercial and retail properties including
- Department of Defence OHS ‘Fit for Purpose’ Audits located Glenwood, Orchard Hills, Holsworthy, Rockhampton, Townsville (Lavarack Barracks & RAAF Base), Brisbane (Victoria & Enoggera Barracks)
- ABC Buildings at major and regional centres in NSW, ACT, TAS & WA (28 Sites).
- Plant room safety audits for ABC Ultimo Studios
- OHS&E property audits for Stockland shopping centres, Corrimal, Shellharbour & Nowra
- OHS Property Audits for OHS Property Audit for Valad Property Trust east coast portfolio of over 20 buildings including commercial, industrial and high rise buildings.
- OHS and Property compliance audits for Frank Knight commercial and retail properties